United Against Prostate Cancer is an NHS England funded project. It is based across the East Genomic Medicine Service Alliance (East GMSA) region, which incorporates a large proportion of the East Midlands and East of England.
The project aims to establish genetic testing on samples of the prostate cancer tissue for men who have metastatic prostate cancer.
Through a joint stakeholder approach and peer patient champions, we will engage with communities to raise awareness of prostate cancer and genetic testing.
We will build on existing work to address inequalities in access to genetic testing for high risk patient groups including those with a positive family history and men of African/African Caribbean ancestry
Peer patient champion role
The aim of these roles is to help raise awareness of prostate cancer and encourage peers to take part in genetic testing.
Some of the tasks we would like your help with:
- Understand and be passionate about raising awareness of prostate cancer and genetic screening
- Act as a role model to show others how to find out if they are at risk of prostate cancer and how to take part in genetic screening
- Share prostate cancer and genetic screening messages to your peers via emails, posters or word of mouth
- To highlight engagement opportunities within communities across the East GMSA
Skills you will need
- Responsible, honest and reliable
- Friendly, approachable, a good communicator and willing to listen
You will also need to have a willingness to travel within our region (East Midlands and East of England) for events. Expenses will be covered.
Eligible applicants would need to have personal experience of prostate cancer and ideally, but not essentially, be one of the following:
- Under 50
- Under 60 with a family history
- Under 70 with African and African Caribbean ancestry
- Have a partner affected by Prostate Cancer
All peers need to be over 18 years old.
Financial reimbursement will be available
We are currently looking for peer patient champions who can be involved until 31 March 2023
For further enquiries please contact Gemma Gunn via: email@example.com
Closing date for applications is Sunday 19 June 2022 (interviews planned for Friday 24 June).